Thursday, May 13, 2010

BioWare Bitch Slaps FFXIII

Wow.
Well, before I address the main point I just want to take a slightly more controversial route: You can put a 'J' in front of it, but it's not an RPG. You don't make any choices, you don't create a character, you don't live your character... I don't know what those are - adventure games maybe? But they're not RPG's.
That's Daniel Erickson, Writing Director for BioWare, in an interview with Strategy Informer. Now, normally I wouldn't take much note of such a comment. Indeed if I had seen some dude on a forum say this, I'd chuckle and the pithiness and think this dude wants to start a flame war. I even mostly agree, if you don't get to play a character, a game isn't really an RPG in my definition. BUT, I don't know, as a BioWare representitive if it was the most tactful thing to say about FXIII on record.

BioWare is a big company and has become fairly important to the game industry aside from its importance to the RPG world. And so, directly attacking a major competitor like that--a major competitor that's been doing this game design thing back when BioWare was brewing potions in its diapers--seems a little douchey. Say it behind closed doors, in conversation, but for the love of god don't let this type of sentiment go to print. Just for decorum's sake.

At least when Squeenix calls BioWare's games ugly, they pretend like they're talking about someone else. Throwing darts at a picture of your enemy is vastly different than throwing darts at his face. And Erikson went straigt for the balls.

via Kotaku.

1 comment:

  1. maybe he was referring to the lack of role-playing in an alleged 'role-playing game'

    ReplyDelete